Greetings Allen Families,
On behalf of the Allen Elementary School staff, welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! The school office will be pushing out several important announcements in the coming weeks pertaining to distance learning and the start of the school year.
The purpose of this update is to provide additional clarity regarding the annual residency verification process. Please read the information below carefully as the process is slightly different than in years past.
Which Families Need to Verify Residency?
- Verification of residency is required for all returning Allen students. A verification of residency form must be submitted for each child that attends Allen.
- Re-verification is not necessary for incoming kindergarten students and new enrollments who pre-registered since February 19, 2020
- Residency must be completed before your child is placed in a class. Remember that school starts via enhanced distance learning online on August 31, 2020.
If you moved to a new address in 2020, please write “new address” clearly on the verification form, so we can update your child’s records.
What is Needed to Verify Residency?
Families can provide ONE of the documents listed below. The document can be in either or both parents’/legal guardians’ names and must include the address where you and your child physically live. Documents must be dated after July 1, 2020. It can be a letter that has been mailed to your address, or a document that you download or receive electronically.
- Recent paystub if it includes your name and physical address
- Current rental contract/lease & recent payment receipt with landlord contact info
- Utility bill: SDG&E, solar, internet, water, trash, cable tv, landline phone, property tax payment receipt (cell phone bills & bank statements cannot be accepted)
- Voter registration or car registration if dated from July 1; letter from a court, DMV, or a government department
- Lincoln Military Housing residency verification letter
- Mortgage statement or homeowner’s association (HOA) billing statement
- Letter on apartment complex or mobile home park letterhead, signed by the landlord, stating that parent/guardian/caregiver lives there
The District cannot accept documentation with PO box addresses, or that has been provided by a family member, caregiver, friend unless you and your child physically stay at the address permanently. Please refer to the section of the letter titled “Second Family Affidavit.”
How Do I Verify Residency?
You have two options to verify residency, in person or via email.
- Via Email (preferred due to the current public health order)
- Download the attached form titled “Verification of Residency”
- Fill out “Verification of Residency” form (one per each child that attends Allen) and include your child’s name and the grade your child will be going into
- Print and sign & date the form (we cannot accept electronic signatures)
- Take a picture of document you are using to verify residency (see list above)
- Email completed and signed “Verification of Residency” form along with “documentation of residency” (listed above) to AllenSchool@cvesd.org
If you are unable to print the “Verification of Residency” form, paper copies will be available outside of the Allen Office starting Monday, August 17th from 8 am to 4 pm. You can pick up a form and follow the steps above.
- In Person
- Visit the school at one of the times listed below
- Fill out, sign & date “Verification of Residency” form – one per child
- Provide documentation of residency (listed above)
- We will be accepting residency verification forms in person at these times:
- Monday, August 17th through Thursday, August 20th from 8:00am-11:00am and again from 1:00pm-3:00pm
- You may also call the office at (619) 479-3662 to schedule a specific time for assistance with this process.
The school buildings remain closed to the public, including the school office. All documents will be accepted outside at a table. When visiting the school, please wear a mask, practice physical distancing, and observe all posted signage. We ask you to follow these safety precautions in order to receive assistance from our staff. Anyone not following safety guidelines will be turned away.
What about Second Family Affidavits?
If a student and family reside with another family and they are unable to provide a document to verify their own residency, the attached “Second Family Affidavit” form needs to be submitted, along with the “Verification of Residency” form and supporting verification document. The form must be signed by representatives of the homeowner and parent/legal guardian. Photo ID of the homeowner must also be provided. Submit all forms using one of the methods listed above.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 between 8 am and 4 pm Monday through Friday. You may need to leave a voice message with your name and phone number, and someone will call you back within 24 hours.
We will continue to send you more updates regarding the school year in the coming days. Please see a PDF copy of this letter and the necessary forms below.
Mr. John Greenwell, M.S.Ed.
Principal of Ella B. Allen Elementary School