Allen School Core Values and Common Courtesies
Allen School’s Core Values and Common Courtesies are expected to be followed and demonstrated by all members of the school community.
Allen School’s Core Values:
Caring • Honesty • Perseverance • Respect • Responsibility
Allen School’s Common Courtesies:
“Please.” • “Thank you.” • “Good morning” or “Good afternoon.” • “I apologize for…” • “Excuse me.”
Allen School Rules
All members of Allen School functions under four overarching rules:
1) Be Kind.
2) Be Safe.
3) Be Responsible.
4) Be Respectful.
Students in our school come from diverse cultural norms and family dynamics. Many are learning to come together in one place and may have not learned school norms and codes of conduct. Our overarching rules are also goals as we know these are things all humans must strive for every day. We want students to have ample opportunities to learn expected positive behaviors at school. In order for students to be successful, grow, and learn, they must develop positive relationships with all adults and their peers. All adults will model positive relationships, teach appropriate behaviors explicitly, and provide positive reinforcement of behaviors expected at school. As students learn, they will have opportunities to be recognized for their positive behavior. We try to catch students doing the right thing with Allen Eagle Tickets throughout the day. The tickets can be saved and redeemed for lunch with the principal, saved for the Eagle’s Nest store, or can be placed into grade level tubs and names are randomly pulled each week to acknowledge students by name and reward them with school treats. Teachers will also conduct classroom meetings called “Meet Ups” to discuss and share examples of kind, safe, respectful, and responsible behavior. Finally, all families are invited every Monday morning for our Meet Up Mondays on the playground. This is an opportunity for us to get together as a school community and focus on a particular school goal and engage in a Sanford Harmony Quick Connection (this is a fun question to get to know another person a bit better!). See you Mondays!
Safety Rules for Student Drop-Off and Pick-Up
FOR THE SAKE OF STUDENT SAFETY and to help the flow of traffic, we respectfully insist that ALL parents/guardians and family members who drive students to and from school follow these rules:
- ALWAYS drop students off at the Ann Daly Center.
- Pick students up at the Ann Daly Center or park on Allen School Rd. or another neighboring street and walk to the front of the school to pick up students.
- DRIVE SLOWLY AND CAUTIOUSLY.
- DO NOT PARK IN FRONT OF ALLEN SCHOOL for purposes of drop-off or picking-up your child. Cars attempting to back out of the parking spaces often tie up traffic. We are fortunate to have a large parking lot at Ann Daly for your convenience.
- NEVER DOUBLE PARK. If you will be getting out of your car, please park in a marked space at Ann Daly.
- BE POLITE TO OTHER DRIVERS, OUR PARENT PATROL, AND THE STUDENT SAFETY PATROL. Our children learn from the positive behaviors that we model.
- STUDENTS MUST BE PICKED UP WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF DISMISSAL. Please do not leave your children unattended on the school grounds as there is no after-school supervision.
If you need after-school care for your child, please consider the DASH program. The school office can give you further information.