Hello Allen Families,
Happy Sunday! Can you believe that we are nearly in May? Please review the information in this Sunday Update and communicate with your child’s teacher or the school office with any questions.
We are very excited to have our students back on our campus! We missed our Allen Eagles greatly. As always, please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 if your student will be absent from school for any reason, regardless of whether they are in the hybrid model or distance learning model.
Please note, for students who are physically at school in hybrid learning, it is very important that parents/guardians speak with our school office staff regarding the reason for any student absence from class. For the health and safety of all students and staff, students who are absent without parent contact will not be allowed back on campus until the parent/guardian discusses the reason for the absence with school office staff.
- If a student is sick, we are required to ask the parent to confirm which symptoms the student is experiencing.
- If symptoms align with symptoms of COVID-19, the school staff, including the school nurse and Attendance Health Specialist, must follow the COVID-19 Decision Tree set forth by the County of San Diego.
- If symptoms are part of a chronic condition, the school will work with the school’s nurse to determine next steps.
- If symptoms are not a possible symptom of COVID-19, the student will be welcomed back to school after following normal school health protocols.
We look forward to an amazing rest of our school year. Thank you for your support of our safe and comfortable learning environment.
Mr. Greenwell’s Message of the Week
Mr. Greenwell’s Message of the Week for April 25, 2021:
Please see our revised Parent Handbook here.
A reminder of our school’s Core Values and Common Courtesies:
The Core Value this week is Responsibility. This week’s Common Courtesy is “Excuse me.“
Students may earn an Allen Eagle Ticket for demonstrating the Core Values and Common Courtesies each day. Our staff is always looking for ways to celebrate our students!
If you need to conduct business with the school office, please contact the school office between the hours of 8 am and 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Anyone coming to the school must follow all safety protocols, including wearing a facial covering. We will ask you to remain outside. Please contact the office directly at (619) 479-3662 and we will arrange an appointment with you.
A friendly reminder that school starts for all students at 8:50 am: Some students in the hybrid model will start classes on campus at this time. Other students will begin their asynchronous learning time at home at this time, while a third group will be learning synchronously at home with their child’s teacher via distance learning.
Attendance and student engagement continue to be tracked and monitored, according to state law and AB 77 and SB 98. Please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 if your child is having trouble accessing class online.
A Look Ahead:
Tuesday, April 27, 2021 – CVESD DAC/DELAC at 6 pm
Thursday, April 29, 2021 – CVESD BLAC meeting at 6 pm
Monday, May 3 – Friday, May 7, 2021 – Teacher Appreciation Week and Spirit Week
Friday, May 7, 2021 – Virtual Family First Friday at 8 am [Link]
Monday, May 10 – Friday, May 14, 2021 – Virtual Sixth Grade Camp
Monday , May 10, 2021 – Parent Meetings
Wednesday, May 12, 2021 – CA Day of the Teacher and School Nurse Day
Monday, May 17 – Friday, May 21, 2021 – Classified School Employees Week
Wednesday, May 19, 2021 – CVESD Board of Education meeting at 6 pm [Link]
Thursday, May 27, 2021 – CVESD BAC meeting at 6 pm [Link]
Monday, May 31, 2021 – NO SCHOOL (Memorial Day holiday)
Friday, June 4, 2021 – Virtual Family First Friday at 8 am [Link]
Monday, June 14, 2021 – Sixth Grade Promotion Ceremony at 9 am (details coming)
Tuesday, June 15, 2021 – Last Day of School and Kindergarten Promotion at 9 am (details coming)
We are proud of all of our students who participated in the CVESDTalks speech competition! Congratulations to Cristina Rodriguez (1st place in the district for 4th grade) and Sydney Shatwell (3rd place in the district for 5th grade) for representing Allen at the district level!
Save the Date: Teacher Appreciation Week is next week!
Next week will be our first spirit week of quarter 4 and also our Teacher Appreciation Week! Please check the school blog at http://www.allenelementary.org for more details on Sunday, May 2nd.
VAPA Classes in Quarter 4
We want to remind all families that regardless of the instructional model a child is placed in, school begins at 8:50 am. Students in the afternoon cohort are expected to complete asynchronous learning in the morning as part of the requirements of the state of California as mandated by AB 77 and SB 98. In order to maximize learning time on campus, students in the hybrid model will have all VAPA classes during their asynchronous learning time. Please see the following informational graphic regarding your child’s VAPA classes in quarter 4. Please note that the specific dates and times of VAPA classes change each week, but your child’s teacher is able to share those details.
We wanted to share some reminders about the hybrid instructional model.
As a friendly reminder, school starts for all students at 8:50 am, Monday through Friday. To clarify:
- Some students will be on campus in the morning cohort (8:50 am to 11:25 am, Monday through Thursday). These students will have asynchronous learning in the afternoons Monday through Thursday and also every Friday morning after the synchronous learning time.
- Some students will be on campus in the afternoon cohort (12:35 pm to 3:10 pm, Monday through Thursday). These students will have asynchronous learning in the mornings Monday through Thursday and also every Friday morning after the synchronous learning time.
- Other students will continue in the Distance Learning instructional model for the remainder of the school year. These students will work synchronously with their teacher in the morning and work asynchronously online in the afternoon.
- All students, regardless of the instructional model, will have VAPA classes and assignments to complete during their asynchronous learning time.
As always, continue to communicate with your child’s teacher and the school office at (619) 479-3662 should you have any questions.
Please review the helpful infographic below:
- Families will participate in the Thumbs Up Health Screening listed in the graphic above when students come to campus. All families also consent to a daily temperature screening as part of this Thumbs Up process.
- We recommend students use the bathroom at home before coming to school to maximize time on campus for learning and social interaction.
- We recommend students eat breakfast (for the AM cohort) and lunch (for the PM cohort) before coming to school. There will be no meals served to students on campus outside of the weekly meal distribution on Mondays.
Please note in the schedule that there is no class on campus on Fridays in this instructional model. All learning on Fridays takes place online. See the video below to learn about the ingress and egress procedures for students returning to campus via the hybrid/in-person instructional model here:
- Kindly contact the school office directly at (619) 479-3662 and our staff will do its best to accommodate any changes, pending availability and space. This means your child will be placed on a waitlist.
- See the schedule of the Hybrid/In-Person Cohort below.
Families who will drop off and pick up their children in the hybrid model will drop off students in front of Daly Academy. Students will enter campus at the gate according to their grade level, per the graphic below:
Only students in the Distance Learning Support Program, students walking to school, and students who arrive late will enter campus via the front school gates. No parents or volunteers will be allowed on campus.
If you missed the presentation on our Reopening Plan, the powerpoint presentation can be found here:
Please note there is a slight change to the Friday schedule for students staying in Distance Learning. See the revised schedule here:
Voluntary COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Testing
We are pleased to offer voluntary COVID-19 testing for staff and students. You will not need to make an appointment for testing at our school. Our school will provide on-demand testing, which means that we are accepting “walk-ins”—no appointments are necessary. Here is important information on the CVESD COVID-19 Testing Program:
· Testing will occur in front of Daly Academy on the following Tuesdays: April 20, May 4, May 18, and June 1.
· On these days, testing will occur from 8:00 AM – 3:30 PM, with no testing for an hour in the middle of the day (around noon) due to staff lunch times.
· If your student is experiencing symptoms, we highly recommend getting a PCR test at a free County facility or with a medical provider, and not reporting to the school for the antigen test. Unfortunately, the antigen tests used by CVESD cannot be used for return to work or school, per the County’s Symptom Decision Tree. The antigen testing program is for surveillance purposes, in order to quickly determine if individuals are positive and remove such individuals and their close contacts from campus as soon as possible. Contact our school health office for more information or discuss your child’s symptoms.
· At this time, we can only test staff and CVESD students. No family members are able test at this time.
· You do not need to be with your child in order for your child to test under our program; however, if your child walks up to the testing location, we will not be able to test them unless you have signed the on-line consent form at the link you are provided. We highly recommend that you accompany your child to the testing location. A reminder that testing for all staff and students is 100% voluntary and optional. We will not provide a COVID-19 test for a child without parental permission and consent.
· Links that are sent to you are personalized for your specific student and shouldn’t be shared with others.
· If you have trouble registering/providing consent for your child through the link, please call the district office at (619) 425-9600 and speak to Sherry Stone at ext. 1327 or Theresa Fletcher at ext. 1027 or visit the testing staff on-site at our school and they will be able to help register and test your child during your visit.
· Because we are not taking appointments, we know there will be long lines before and after school. Please take this into account when planning the time have your child tested. Please be patient with the testing team and listen carefully to their instructions.
Thank you for supporting our efforts to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus on our campus.
See the one page document below for more information.
We encourage all interested families to contact the district’s Early Childhood Education office at (619) 425-2362 as they are able to share the most up-to-date information regarding this program.
Link to Pre-School Pre-Registration for 2021-2022: Click here.
We are excited to share that registrations are now opened for the 2021-2022 school year. Our Preschool Program is now offering in-person instruction for July 2021. Eligible children must have been born between December 3rd, 2016 through September 1st, 2018. Your child must be 3 years old and potty trained Applications are available through our website. Please visit www.cvesd.org, click on the Early Childhood Education quick link and select Preschool Registration. You may return any required documents via email or to the Preschool Drop Box located outside the preschool office at the Early Childhood Education office at 84 East J St in Chula Vista. You may also contact this office by telephone at (619) 425-2362. Please note that these offices will be following Public Health guidelines in regards to COVID-19 to ensure the safety of our students and staff. We look forward to serving you and your child through our free high quality preschool program.
Please find more information here: https://www.cvesd.org/parents/welcome_to_enrollment/early_childhood_education
Families who live in the Chula Vista Elementary School District, but whose neighborhood school isn’t Allen must complete the Zone Transfer form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Families who live outside of the Chula Vista Elementary School District must follow the Interdistrict Transfer process instead here.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the form, please feel free to contact the school office at (619) 479-3662. If your child will not be returning to Allen, please let us know that as well. Parents of current sixth grade students on a zone transfer do not need to do this step.
Kinder & New Student Registration
Ella B. Allen Elementary School wants you to tell others how great our school is!
Do you know someone new to our community? Or, do you have a child ready for Preschool or Kindergarten? Enrollment in the Chula Vista Elementary School District for the next school year has begun! This year, the District is utilizing a new online enrollment system that promises to make registration easier than ever. Please spread the word to share how wonderful your child’s education at Allen Elementary has been! We are recruiting new students for Kindergarten and have a few open spots for students in grades 3 through 6 next year.
Kindergarten and NEW student registration for the 2021-2022 school year is now available on a NEW online system. There are no paper packets for this year’s registration. Those currently registered at our school DO NOT have to re-register. However, if you attend Allen on a Zone Transfer or interdistrict transfer, those documents will need to be renewed every year. All families will need to complete proof of residency when the time comes. CLICK HERE for further information and here to register on the district’s website.
The following groups of students need to complete the registration process:
- Kindergarten students who will be 5 years old on or before September 1st
- NEW students in grades 1st through 6th
- Questions? Email email@example.com.
- All inquiries and registration for the Preschool at Allen Elementary will be handled by the district’s Early Childhood Education office at (619) 425-2362 as they are able to share the most up-to-date information regarding this program.
Curbside Library Book Service
Ella B. Allen Elementary School students are now able to check out library books online by Thursdays and pick them up curbside on Mondays! Students can access the library catalog online and place up to two books on HOLD. Please note that any books already checked out must be returned. For more information, click here: https://allenelementary.org/parents/library/
COVID-19 Corner: Health and Safety Updates
Please wear a mask, wash your hands, sanitize frequently used surfaces, and do not congregate with people living outside of your immediate household.
Please see the latest updates regarding public health and safety from the County of San Diego, including information about COVID-19 testing and vaccination, here. With the arrival of the vaccine designed to prevent COVID-19, our District is happy to share a fact sheet that details why the vaccines are safe and effective. We are active encouraging all eligible persons to get the free COVID-19 vaccine.
The San Diego County Office of Education encourages families to learn about the importance of getting vaccinated. COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19 and they have other benefits, too. In the rare case that you do still get COVID-19, the vaccine may help keep you from getting seriously ill. Getting vaccinated may also protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Click here for English, or here for Spanish for facts about the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines.
Visit covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/ for more information.
If your child experiences any symptoms of COVID-19, please keep your child home, leaving only to get tested or seek medical attention.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19 and should stay home:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
There are a number of COVID-19 testing sites in the South County, thanks to the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency. It is highly encouraged for families to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing in advance. You may wish to reference 211sandiego.org or the County’s website here. Please note that testing sites can only provide information about COVID-19 testing, not vaccinations.
Weekly Meal Distribution
- Meal distribution occurs every Monday from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm for all students. Pick up the 5 days worth of meals at the front of the school. Please follow all safety directives, such as wearing a mask or facial covering that covers the mouth and nose. This free service is available for all families that attend a school in the Chula Vista Elementary School District.
Would you like your child to eat school meals this year? The school encourages all families who may need assistance to apply for free and reduced meals via the district website. These forms must be completed again every year! Find the forms and information at the district link here. We encourage all families to complete this form as the school receives additional funding to support families who qualify.
Parent & Youth Emotional Support Hotline
A group called Parents Anonymous recently launched the California Parent & Youth Helpline and Online Parents Anonymous® Support Groups in response to COVID-19 to provide free emotional support to parents and youth in any language, 7 days a week 8 am to 8 pm at 1-855-4A PARENT (or 1-855-427-2736).
Parent-Teacher Club (PTC)
Visit the PTC website at AllenPTC.org to become a member of the PTC and make a donation to support the latest initiative at the school. Allen’s PTC is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports the school’s educational mission through funding programs and initiatives.
Allen’s next PTC meeting is Monday, May 10th at 6 pm.
Please help support Allen’s PTC by shopping at smile.amazon.com! AmazonSmile has the exact same low prices, vast selection, and convenient shopping as the Amazon you know and already use. AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of all eligible purchases to the Allen Elementary PTC when you shop. Make sure to shop on smile.amazon.com and choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc as your charity. Thank you!
AmazonSmile customers can now support Ella B. Allen Elementary School’s PTC in the Amazon shopping app on iOS and Android mobile phones! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
Please choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc by clicking this link for your Amazon purchases: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/95-4403426
Meetings for Parents and Guardians
Allen School needs parents and guardians to support our school through important parent groups, such as the PTC (Parent Teacher Club), the School Site Council (often referred to as SSC), and the English Language Advisory Committee (often referred to as ELAC). The site-based groups work with the Principal, staff, and other community members to ensure that community voice is part of the shared decision making process of a public school.
Virtual Family First Friday Meeting
The first Friday of every month is reserved for our Family First Friday, Allen’s version of Coffee with the Principal. Our next Virtual Family First Friday will be on May 7, 2021 at 8 am. Click here to access this meeting. We encourage parents and legal guardians to join an online meeting with a cup of hot coffee or tea and listen to Mr. Greenwell give an update on the school year. The link will be in an email shared with parents. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Ella B. Allen’s next ELAC Meeting will be held on Monday, May 10th at 3 pm. This meeting will be held online. The school encourages all legal parent/guardian of students designated as an English Learner to attend these meetings. Click here or please email email@example.com for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
School Site Council (SSC)
Allen School’s next SSC Meeting is Monday, May 10th at 3:30 pm and will be held online. Click here or please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting. Click here or please email email@example.com for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL (SSC) is composed of five elected parent/community representatives and five elected staff/teacher representatives. The role of the SSC is to develop, approve, and monitor the School Plan for Student Achievement.
With a few exceptions, meetings are held the second Monday of every month. Until further notice, meetings will be held online. All parents and staff are welcome to attend. Council members serve for two year terms.
Parent Teacher Club (PTC) Meeting
Allen’s PTC meets the second Monday of every month at 6pm. Until further notice, all meetings will be held online via this link. The next PTC meeting is Monday, May 10th at 6 pm. Please also check out the new PTC website to become a member and make a donation: AllenPTC.org
CVESD Board of Education Meeting
The district’s Board of Education meetings are also being held online and generally occur the second Wednesday of each month. The next regularly scheduled CVESD Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, May 19th at 6 pm.
To access these public meetings, please click the link here: https://www.cvesd.org/board_of_education/board_meetings
CVESD DAC/DELAC Meeting
District Advisory Council (DAC)
The DAC is composed of parent and staff representatives from each School Site Council. It meets regularly during the school year in open public forum to share information, study instructional issues, approve school planning schedules, and make recommendations to the Board of Education on specific items. District meetings take place once a month, mid-afternoon. Most meetings occur on Tuesdays from 12 – 2 pm, with a parent training beforehand. This is an elected position to serve a one-year term.
District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
The district will continue to conduct all meetings online until further notice, including all DAC/DELAC meetings. DAC is the District Advisory Committee. DELAC is the District English Learner Advisory Committee. Both of these groups are designed to support and inform parents in a shared communication setting with the district. Parents learn with other parents and district leadership at the DAC/DELAC meetings.
The next DAC/DELAC Meeting will be on April 27, 2021 at 6 pm. You can access the meeting here at the district’s website.
Below is a schedule of all DAC/DELAC meetings for the upcoming school year. I recommend all parents download this schedule if they are interested in learning more about theses district meetings.
Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year
Did you know that next year’s School Calendar (2021-2022) was already approved by the CVESD Board of Education? Click this link to download it. At this time, we anticipate that all students will be on campus in July 2021 when this school year starts.
Be well Eagles! Stay safe: Wear a mask. We encourage everyone to get the COVID-19 vaccine when you are eligible to do so. We anticipate that all students will begin the new school year in July 2021 on campus. Please look for additional information in your emails from the district!