Please enjoy your Spring Break, Allen Eagles!
Please note that Monday, April 5th is a minimum day, per the district-approved calendar.
The week of April 5th to April 9th is a teacher preparation week: This means that all students will receive some synchronous, online instruction from their current teacher, but will receive the remaining required instructional minutes asynchronously online.
April 12th begins our hybrid instructional model. Some students will be on campus in the morning cohort and some will be on campus in the afternoon cohort. Other students will continue in the Distance Learning instructional model for the remainder of the school year. Please note that this change to hybrid instruction may require many students, even those continuing in Distance Learning, to be re-assigned to a different teacher.
Please check your email for more up-to-date information over Spring Break regarding your child’s placement. This email may be in your junk or spam folders. If you did not receive an email from the school with this information, it is because we do not have your current email address on file in our system. Kindly call the school office at (619) 479-3662 to update this.
As always, continue to communicate with your child’s teacher and the school office at (619) 479-3662 should you have any questions.
Mr. Greenwell’s Message of the Week
Mr. Greenwell’s Message of the Week for Sunday, March 28, 2021:
Please see the YouTube video below from Mr. Greenwell regarding the ingress and egress procedures for students returning to campus via the hybrid/in-person instructional model here:
Please see our revised Parent Handbook here.
A reminder of our school’s Core Values and Common Courtesies:
The Core Value this week is Honesty. This week’s Common Courtesy is “Thank you.“
If you need to conduct business with the school office, please contact the school office between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Anyone coming to the school must follow all safety protocols, including wearing a facial covering. We will ask you to remain outside. Please contact the office directly at (619) 479-3662 and we will arrange an appointment with you.
A friendly reminder that school starts for all students at 8:50 am: Some students in the hybrid model will start classes on campus at this time. Other students will begin their asynchronous learning time at this time, while a third group will be learning synchronously with their child’s teacher via distance learning. Attendance and student engagement continue to be tracked and monitored, according to state law and AB 77 and SB 98. Please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 if your child is having trouble accessing class online.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, March 29 – Friday, April 2, 2021 – Spring Break
Monday, April 5, 2021 – Students resume class (Minimum Day) and Afternoon Grab and Go from 3:30 pm to 5 pm
Tuesday, April 6, 2021 – Morning Grab and Go from 8:30 am to 10 am
Friday, April 9, 2021 – Virtual Family First Friday at 8 am. [Click here to access this meeting]
Monday, April 12, 2021 – First day of In-Person Learning for select students; PTC Meeting at 6 pm [Note: ELAC and SSC meetings scheduled for this day have been postponed]
Hybrid Model Updates
We are preparing the school for the April 12th return of some students to campus via the hybrid model. Please see the helpful infographic below:
Please see the video below to learn about the ingress and egress procedures for students returning to campus via the hybrid/in-person instructional model here:
We have sent emails and made phone calls for the last three weeks to contact every parent to get their preference for learning model for the remainder of the school year. To clarify, there were three choices for parents to express a preference:
- Express an interest in keeping your child in Distance Learning, Monday-Friday. Students in this learning model will stay on the current learning schedule that we have been using since September 2020: Instructional minutes for your child stay the same, with 3 hours of synchronous learning for Kindergarten students, 3 hours and 50 minutes for students in grades 1-3, and 4 hours for students in grades 4 through 6. Please note: a parent that chooses this option may have their child be assigned to a different teacher. Instructional minutes for your child stay the same.
- Express a preference for enrolling your child in the morning cohort for in-person instruction, Monday through Thursday. This will allow for 155 minutes of in-person instruction at school on those days. In this model, your child will be dropped off at school between 8:40 am and 8:50 am in front of Daly Academy. Students will stay in their vehicle while a staff member performs a health screening that includes affirming that no one in the household has symptoms of COVID-19 and parents will consent to having their child undergo a temperature check. Students will begin learning in their classrooms at 8:50 am. Parents should pick up children at 11:25 am in the traffic loop in front of Daly Academy. There is no after school childcare in this option. Once home, students will be required to complete their remaining required instructional time asynchronously, online. Also, all students in this model will have 155 minutes of synchronous, distance learning on Fridays, from their homes and will complete any remaining instructional time asynchronously from home. No in-person instruction will occur on campus on Fridays for families in this learning model. Please note: A parent that chooses this option may have their child assigned to a different teacher. Total instructional minutes for your child stay the same, but there are only 2 hours and 35 minutes of in-person instruction, Monday through Thursday in this model.
- Express a preference for enrolling your child in the afternoon cohort for in-person instruction, Monday through Thursday. This will allow for your child to begin the day at home with asynchronous instruction, online. Students will also have 155 minutes of in-person instruction at school. In this model, there is no before school childcare. Your child will be dropped off at school between 12:25 pm and 12:35 pm in front of Daly Academy. Students will stay in their vehicle while a staff member performs a health screening that includes affirming that no one in the household has symptoms of COVID-19 and will consent to having their child undergo a temperature check. Students will begin learning at 12:35 pm. Parents should pick up children at 3:10 pm in the traffic loop in front of Daly Academy. There is no after school childcare in this option. Also, all students in this model will have 155 minutes of synchronous, distance learning on Fridays, from their homes and will complete any remaining instructional time asynchronously from home. No in-person instruction will occur on campus on Fridays. Please note: A parent that chooses this option may have their child assigned to a different teacher. Total instructional minutes for your child stay the same, but there are only 2 hours and 35 minutes of in-person instruction in this model, Monday through Thursday.
Please note: Our school team tried its very best to accommodate parent preferences. Please know that despite our best efforts, we may have offered some families an option that does not match their preferences. We will create a waitlist for in-person instruction. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and flexibility.
The last day for parents to express a preference for their child’s learning model was Friday, March 19th. Please contact the school office directly at (619) 479-3662 with any lingering questions. The deadline was created so that we may be able to plan for students and prepare for the April 12th start date of these 3 models.
Please note that we will do our best to accommodate our families’ preferences, but that space and availability are limited. For example, a family who wants the morning shift may be assigned the afternoon shift or distance learning instead.
- Kindly contact the school office directly at (619) 479-3662 and our staff will do its best to accommodate any changes, pending availability and space. This means your child will be placed on a waitlist.
- The start date for this model has been set: April 12, 2021.
- See the working schedule of the Hybrid/In-Person Cohort below.
Families who will drop off and pick up their children in the hybrid model will drop off students in front of Daly Academy or at the Kindergarten gate (according to grade level), per the graphic below:
Only students in the Distance Learning Support Program, students walking to school, and students who arrive late will enter campus via the front school gates. No parents or volunteers will be allowed on campus.
Our district values your input! Your responses in Thought Exchange will help shape how the district spends its monies on students. Share your thoughts with us via Thought Exchange, an on-line learning process to help us better understand what is important to you. Our dialogue through Thought Exchange enables us to hear more about your concerns as well as the things you appreciate about our schools and District. Please prioritize a few moments of your time to contribute to the success of our educational system by providing feedback that will better inform our decision-making. This will also help us as we look at annual revisions to our Local Control and Accountability Plan.
Summative ELPAC Testing Begins at Allen
Is your child classified as an English Language Learner? Federally-mandated ELPAC testing for all English learners has begun at Allen. Your child’s teacher will contact you with dates and important information about taking this assessment. Some students will start the ELPAC testing when we return from Spring Break in April 2021. Please ensure your child is well-rested, well-fed, and prepared to show all the English they know on the ELPAC assessment. As this is a federal mandate, parents do not have the option to opt their child out of this testing. We appreciate your support and patience! We know our students will do well on these assessments!
Preschool Coming to Allen in July 2021
We are thrilled to share that a preschool program is coming to Allen Elementary’s campus for the 2021-2022 school year. We encourage all interested families to contact the district’s Early Childhood Education office at (619) 425-2362 as they are able to share the most up-to-date information regarding this program.
Link to Pre-School Pre-Registration for 2021-2022: Click here.
All enrollment information and paperwork is handled by the district’s Early Childhood Education office. Please find more information here: https://www.cvesd.org/parents/welcome_to_enrollment/early_childhood_education
Families who live in the Chula Vista Elementary School District, but whose neighborhood school isn’t Allen must complete the Zone Transfer form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Families who live outside of the Chula Vista Elementary School District must follow the Interdistrict Transfer process instead here.
If you have any questions or need assistance completing the form, please feel free to contact the school office at (619) 479-3662. If your child will not be returning to Allen, please let us know that as well. Parents of current sixth grade students on a zone transfer do not need to do this step.
2021-2022 Kinder & New Student Registration
Ella B. Allen Elementary School wants you to tell others how great our school is! Please spread the word to share how wonderful your child’s education at Allen Elementary has been! We are recruiting new students for Kindergarten and have a few open spots for students in grades 3 through 6 next year.
Kindergarten and NEW student registration began on March 15th for the 2021-2022 school year with a NEW online system. There will be no paper packets for this year’s registration. Those currently registered at our school DO NOT have to re-register. However, if you attend Allen on a Zone Transfer or interdistrict transfer, those documents will need to be renewed. All families will need to complete proof of residency when the time comes. CLICK HERE for further information and here to register on the district’s website.
The following groups of students need to complete the registration process:
- Kindergarten students who will be 5 years old on or before September 1st
- NEW students in grades 1st through 6th
- Questions? Email email@example.com.
- All inquiries and registration for Preschool will be handled by the district’s Early Childhood Education office at (619) 425-2362 as they are able to share the most up-to-date information regarding this program.
Curbside Library Book Service
Ella B. Allen Elementary School students are now able to check out library books online by Thursdays and pick them up curbside on Mondays starting on April 12th! Students can access the library catalog online and place up to two books on HOLD. Please note that any books already checked out must be returned. For more information, click here: https://allenelementary.org/parents/library/
Spring Break Reminder
A friendly reminder that school will be closed for Spring Break, Monday March 29th through April 4th. Classes restart online on Monday April 5th at 8:50 am and this will be a minimum day.
COVID-19 Corner: Health and Safety Updates
Please wear a mask, wash your hands, sanitize frequently used surfaces, and do not congregate with people living outside of your immediate household.
Please see the latest updates regarding public health and safety from the County of San Diego, including information about COVID-19 testing and vaccination, here. With the arrival of the vaccine designed to prevent COVID-19, our District is happy to share a fact sheet that details why the vaccines are safe and effective. Our county is moving into Phase 1C now.
The San Diego County Office of Education encourages families to learn about the importance of getting vaccinated. COVID-19 vaccines are effective at keeping you from getting COVID-19 and they have other benefits, too. In the rare case that you do still get COVID-19, the vaccine may help keep you from getting seriously ill. Getting vaccinated may also protect people around you, particularly people at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19. Click here for English, or here for Spanish for facts about the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines.
Visit covid19.ca.gov/vaccines/ for more information.
If you experience any symptoms of COVID-19, please also stay home, leaving only to get tested or seek medical attention.
People with COVID-19 have had a wide range of symptoms reported – ranging from mild symptoms to severe illness. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus. People with these symptoms may have COVID-19 and should stay home:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- New loss of taste or smell
- Sore throat
- Congestion or runny nose
- Nausea or vomiting
There are a number of testing sites in the South County, thanks to the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency. It is highly encouraged for families to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing in advance. You may wish to reference 211sandiego.org or the County’s website here. Please note that testing sites can only provide information about COVID-19 testing, not vaccinations.
Weekly Meal Distribution
- Meal distribution occurs every Monday (starting on April 12th) from 1:00 pm – 2:00 pm for all students. Pick up the 5 days worth of meals at the front of the school. Please follow all safety directives, such as wearing a mask or facial covering that covers the mouth and nose. This free service is available for all families that attend a school in the Chula Vista Elementary School District.
Would you like your child to eat school meals this year? The school encourages all families who may need assistance to apply for free and reduced meals via the district website. These forms must be completed again every year! Find the forms and information at the district link here. We encourage all families to complete this form as the school receives additional funding to support families who qualify.
Parent & Youth Emotional Support Hotline
A group called Parents Anonymous recently launched the California Parent & Youth Helpline and Online Parents Anonymous® Support Groups in response to COVID-19 to provide free emotional support to parents and youth in any language, 7 days a week 8 am to 8 pm at 1-855-4A PARENT (or 1-855-427-2736).
Parent-Teacher Club (PTC)
Visit the PTC website at AllenPTC.org to become a member of the PTC and make a donation to support the latest initiative at the school. Allen’s PTC is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports the school’s educational mission through funding programs and initiatives.
Allen’s next PTC meeting is Monday, April 12th at 6 pm.
Please help support Allen’s PTC by shopping at smile.amazon.com! AmazonSmile has the exact same low prices, vast selection, and convenient shopping as the Amazon you know and already use. AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of all eligible purchases to the Allen Elementary PTC when you shop. Make sure to shop on smile.amazon.com and choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc as your charity. Thank you!
AmazonSmile customers can now support Ella B. Allen Elementary School’s PTC in the Amazon shopping app on iOS and Android mobile phones! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
Please choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc by clicking this link for your Amazon purchases: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/95-4403426
Meetings for Parents and Guardians
Allen School needs parents and guardians to support our school through important parent groups, such as the PTC (Parent Teacher Club), the School Site Council (often referred to as SSC), and the English Language Advisory Committee (often referred to as ELAC). The site-based groups work with the Principal, staff, and other community members to ensure that community voice is part of the shared decision making process of a public school.
Virtual Family First Friday Meeting
The first Friday of every month is reserved for our Family First Friday, Allen’s version of Coffee with the Principal. Our next Virtual Family First Friday will be on April 9, 2021 at 8 am. Click here to access this meeting. We encourage parents and legal guardians to join an online meeting with a cup of hot coffee or tea and listen to Mr. Greenwell give an update on the school year. The link will be in an email shared with parents. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Ella B. Allen’s next ELAC Meeting has been postponed (date TBD). This meeting will be held online. The school encourages all legal parent/guardian of students designated as an English Learner to attend these meetings. Click here or please email email@example.com for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
School Site Council (SSC)
Allen School’s next SSC Meeting has been postponed (date TBD). This meeting will be held online. Click here or please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL (SSC) is composed of five elected parent/community representatives and five elected staff/teacher representatives. The role of the SSC is to develop, approve, and monitor the School Plan for Student Achievement.
With a few exceptions, meetings are held the second Monday of every month. Until further notice, meetings will be held online. All parents and staff are welcome to attend. Council members serve for two year terms.
Parent Teacher Club (PTC) Meeting
Allen’s PTC meets the second Monday of every month at 6pm. Until further notice, all meetings will be held online via this link. The next PTC meeting is Monday, April 12th at 6 pm. Please also check out the new PTC website to become a member and make a donation: AllenPTC.org
CVESD Board of Education Meeting
The district’s Board of Education meetings are also being held online and generally occur the second Wednesday of each month. The next regularly scheduled CVESD Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, April 16th at 6 pm.
To access these public meetings, please click the link here: https://www.cvesd.org/board_of_education/board_meetings
CVESD DAC/DELAC Meeting
District Advisory Council (DAC)
The DAC is composed of parent and staff representatives from each School Site Council. It meets regularly during the school year in open public forum to share information, study instructional issues, approve school planning schedules, and make recommendations to the Board of Education on specific items. District meetings take place once a month, mid-afternoon. Most meetings occur on Tuesdays from 12 – 2 pm, with a parent training beforehand. This is an elected position to serve a one-year term.
District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
The district will continue to conduct all meetings online until further notice, including all DAC/DELAC meetings. DAC is the District Advisory Committee. DELAC is the District English Learner Advisory Committee. Both of these groups are designed to support and inform parents in a shared communication setting with the district. Parents learn with other parents and district leadership at the DAC/DELAC meetings.
The next DAC/DELAC Meeting will be on April 13, 2021 from 12 noon to 2 pm. You can access the meeting here at the district’s website.
Below is a schedule of all DAC/DELAC meetings for the upcoming school year. I recommend all parents download this schedule if they are interested in learning more about theses district meetings.
Calendar for the 2021-2022 School Year
Did you know that next year’s School Calendar (2021-2022) was already approved by the CVESD Board of Education? Click this link to download it. At this time, we anticipate that all students will be on campus in July 2021 when this school year starts.
Be well Eagles! Stay safe: Wear a mask. We encourage everyone to get the COVID-19 vaccine when you are eligible to do so. We miss you and we are excited about the possibility of students returning to campus via the hybrid model!