If you have not yet done so, please read the latest update from the Superintendent here from Thursday, Dec. 17th, 2020.
Winter Break is from Dec. 21st, 2020 to January 4th, 2021. Students return for a full day of Distance Learning on Tuesday, January 5th, 2021. In addition, there will be no YMCA/Distance Learning Support Program on Allen’s campus the week we return to school. The YMCA program/DLSP will resume on Monday, Jan. 11, 2021. Please note that there will be no meal distribution on Mondays at Allen over the break, but meal distribution will be on Tuesdays beginning on January 5th. The school office will also be closed during the break.
Mr. Greenwell’s Message of the Week
If you could not pick up the necessary materials for quarter 3 at one of our Grab and Go events, please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 to arrange another time in January 2021 to collect them from the school. A friendly reminder: Please guard these materials in a safe place inside your home over Winter Break.
Watch a brief summary of the highlights of this Sunday Update via the You Tube video below:
Join the Allen PTC and Make a Donation: Visit the PTC website at AllenPTC.org to become a member of the PTC and make a donation. Allen’s PTC is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports the school’s educational mission through funding programs and initiatives.
Please help support Allen’s PTC by shopping at smile.amazon.com this Holiday season! AmazonSmile has the exact same low prices, vast selection, and convenient shopping as the Amazon you know and already use. AmazonSmile will donate 0.5% of all eligible purchases to the Allen Elementary PTC when you shop. Make sure to shop on smile.amazon.com and choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc as your charity. Thank you!
AmazonSmile customers can now support Ella B. Allen Elementary School’s PTC in the Amazon shopping app on iOS and Android mobile phones! Simply follow these instructions to turn on AmazonSmile and start generating donations.
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile’ and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process
Please choose Allen Elementary School Parents Teachers Club Inc by clicking this link for your Amazon purchases: https://smile.amazon.com/ch/95-4403426
A reminder of our school’s Core Values and Common Courtesies:
When students return from Winter Break, the Core Value is Responsibility. That week’s Common Courtesy is “Excuse me…”
If you need to conduct business with the school office, please contact the school office between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm, Monday through Friday. Anyone coming to the school office must follow all safety protocols, including wearing a facial covering. Please contact the office directly and we will arrange an appointment with you. Please note that the school will be closed during Winter Break.
A friendly reminder that school starts online for all students at 8:50 am. Attendance and student engagement continue to be tracked and monitored, according to state law and AB 77 and SB 98. Please contact the school office at (619) 479-3662 if your child is having trouble accessing class online.
A Look Ahead:
Monday, December 20 to Monday, January 4th: Winter Break
Monday, January 4, 2021 – Teacher Professional Development (NO SCHOOL)
Tuesday, January 5, 2021 – Classes resume online
Friday, January 8, 2021 – Virtual Family First Friday (LINK)
Monday, January 11 – Parent Meetings
- ELAC Meeting at 3 pm (Click link here)
- SSC Meeting at 3:30 pm (Click link here): Note, the link for the two meetings is the same so if you join SSC meeting early, you will be joining the ELAC meeting.
- PTC Meeting at 6 pm (Link here)
Download your child’s Q2 report card!
Please follow the instructions here to download your child’s Q2 report card after December 18, 2020:
If you receive a “User Not Found” message, try the following login:
Username – Student ID# (the six digit number that begins all student accounts)
TEMPORARY Password – 12345
Note that once you log in with the temporary password, you will need to change it to the standard password convention with upper/lowercase first/last initial and 8-digit birthdate. This will be for all new Kindergarten students and new students to CVESD this school year.
Bonita Optimist Club Book Sales
Bonita Optimists are selling over 9,000 books! To purchase books, follow these steps:
- Click here to go to the Bonita Optimists contact page to send a request message.
- A member of the Bonita Optimists (likely Ann Stevens) will send you a listing of available books in your requested categories, authors, and titles.
- When books are ready for pick up, a member of the Bonita Optimists will contact you regarding a safe pick up or drop off method. Venmo and other touchless forms of payment are preferred.
DVDs are available as well. Members of the Bonita Optimist Club are also collecting books, DVDs, and CDs. Money raised from the sales will go back to support the children of Bonita through the club’s endeavors!
December Spirit Week
We would like to share some photos of our Spirit Week in December 2020:
Winter Break Reminder
Winter Break is from Dec. 21st, 2020 to January 4th, 2021. All students return for a day of online Distance Learning on Tuesday, January 5th, 2021. A reminder that there is no DLSP the first week back from break.
Winter Holidays and COVID-19
Please see the following guidance from the CDC and the County of San Diego Health and Human Services department.
To minimize the spread of COVID-19 and ensure families stay safe during 2020 winter holiday celebrations, the County of San Diego offers guidance for the most common activities:
Recommended Winter Holiday Activities
• Shopping online for holiday gifts or gift cards, and online activities.
• Drive-through events or reverse parades where the participants do not leave their car.
• Send a pre-made dinner or ingredients through online food delivery services and eat together virtually.
• Charity meal activities and donate food to drive-through pantries, local food drives, or online food bank fundraisers.
• Holiday- or Winter-themed movie nights and home decorating with your household.
• Get a flu shot to protect yourself and minimize complications from the flu or COVID-19 virues.
• Per Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) travel considerations, traveling increases the chance of getting and spreading COVID-19. Staying home is the best way to protect yourself and others.
• In-person, indoor celebratory activities, singing, or vocal performances are not recommended because of the difficulty in maintaining 6 feet of distance and these activities increase the risk of transmitting COVID-19.
• Per California Department of Public Health (CDPH) guidance, in-person events or parties with more than 3 households are not permitted, even if they are conducted outdoors. Remember, smaller and shorter gatherings are safer.
• Carnivals, festivals, and live entertainment are not allowed because close interactions increase the risk of infection.
• Ice skating rinks are not allowed as they host many guests from different households where it is difficult to maintain physical distance of at least 6 feet.
Many winter holiday activities can be high-risk for spreading viruses. There are safer, alternative ways to celebrate including:
• Remote games and activities to replace traditional in-person entertainment.
• Driving with members of your household in your car to view holiday lights and decorations.
• Participate in a winter- or holiday-themed virtual run, hike, or bike ride.
• A boat parade following state guidance and the Safe Reopening Protocol for recreational boating.
• Visit Santa, or other holiday figures, at locations that offer a touchless experience only.
• Gift exchanges between 3 households or less, where participants can follow personal protection measures prior to giving and accepting gifts, while observing the state’s private gathering guidance.
Personal Protection Measures
However you celebrate, please continue to follow the County of San Diego Public Health Order, CDPH Holiday Guidance, California Department of Public Health Guidance, and the CDC Holiday Guidelines. To stay safe during the 2020 winter holiday season, please remember to:
• Wash or sanitize your hands often, and clean frequently touched items regularly.
• Avoid close contact – stay at least 6 feet away from people who are not part of your household.
• Avoid indoor spaces that don’t allow for easy distancing of at least 6 feet between you and others and follow state guidance for private outdoor gatherings of up to 3 households.
• Correctly wear an appropriate face covering over your mouth and nose when outside your home and around others who are not part of your household.
• Stay home and away from others if you are sick, have a symptom of COVID-19, or have been in contact with someone who is sick with or has symptoms of COVID-19.
• Follow directionsif you are advised to isolate or quarantine.
For questions, please contact SafeReopeningComplianceTeam@sdcounty.ca.gov.
Download this document below:
Intensive Support Program
A voluntary intensive support program may be coming to Allen Elementary in 2021 for a very limited number of students. Per guidelines from the state of California, priority for this in-person, voluntary support program will be given to students who are:
- Foster and homeless students
- Students with IEPs and 504 plans
- Students identified as English Learners
- Students who are significantly below grade level
Additional details will be shared with families who qualify for this intensive support in the coming weeks.
YMCA Winter Day Camp
Winter Day Camp is a fee-based program offered by the South Bay YMCA over Winter Break. Scholarships are available for families facing economic hardship. This is a great program that supports many of our essential workers who continue to work during the school break. It is highly encouraged for interested families to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing in advance of paying the fee for the YMCA Winter Day Camp. You may wish to reference 211sandiego.org or the list of those sites below (“Free COVID-19 Tests from SD County”). See the flyer below:
Free COVID-19 Tests from SD County
COVID-19 cases continue to rise in our community and the Governor of California has placed a Regional Stay-At-Home order for our region. There are a number of testing sites in the South County, thanks to the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency. It is highly encouraged for families to make an appointment for COVID-19 testing in advance. You may wish to reference 211sandiego.org or the attached list of those sites below:
The CVESD Caring Crew and YOU!
We would like to remind our entire community that following the four pillars of health can prevent the spread of COVID-19. As we prepare for the eventual return of some students to campus in phases, our District and school will be enforcing the four core principles (also known as four pillars) for the prevention of COVID-19. These include:
- Daily Health Screenings
- Mask Wearing
- Physical Distancing, and
- Frequent Hand Washing.
Please speak to your children about the importance of following these four core principles.
Please also watch the short YouTube video below to see what the school and district are doing to prepare for the return of students to campus once it is safe to do so.
School Meals Program
- Meal distribution will occur every Tuesday (starting January 5th) from 12:00 pm – 2:00 pm for all students. Pick up the 5 days worth of meals at the front of the school. Please drive to the front of the school, open your trunk, and be prepared to carry meals from our CNS staff to your car.
- Please note that meals will not be distributed over Winter Break at Allen School.
Would you like your child to eat school meals this year? The school encourages all families who may need assistance to apply for free and reduced meals via the district website. These forms must be completed again every year, so please do not wait to fill them out! Find the forms and information at the district link here.
Distance Learning Resources
Looking for resources for distance learning? Click here or find the “Programs” tab in the menu at the top of this page and click “Distance Learning.”
Meetings for Parents and Legal Guardians
Allen School needs parents and guardians to support our school through important parent groups, such as the PTC (Parent Teacher Club), the School Site Council (often referred to as SSC), and the English Language Advisory Committee (often referred to as ELAC). The site-based groups work with the Principal, staff, and other community members to ensure that community voice is part of the shared decision making process of a public school.
English Learner Advisory Committee (ELAC)
Ella B. Allen’s next ELAC Meeting will be held on Monday, January 11th at 3 pm and will be held online. The school encourages all legal parent/guardian of students designated as an English Learner to attend these meetings. Click here or please email email@example.com for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
School Site Council (SSC)
Allen School’s next SSC Meeting is Monday, January 11th at 3:30 pm and will be held online. Click here or please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
SCHOOL SITE COUNCIL (SSC) is composed of five elected parent/community representatives and five elected staff/teacher representatives. The role of the SSC is to develop, approve, and monitor the School Plan for Student Achievement.
With a few exceptions, meetings are held the second Monday of every month. Until further notice, meetings will be held online. All parents and staff are welcome to attend. Council members serve for two year terms.
Parent Teacher Club (PTC) Meeting
Allen’s PTC meets the second Monday of every month at 6pm. Until further notice, all meetings will be held online via this link. The next PTC meeting is Monday, January 11th at 6 pm. Please also check out the new PTC website to become a member and make a donation: AllenPTC.org
Virtual Family First Friday Meeting
The first Friday of every month is reserved for our Family First Friday, Allen’s version of Coffee with the Principal. Our next Virtual Family First Friday will be on January 8, 2021 at 8 am. Click here to access this meeting on January 8th. We encourage parents and legal guardians to join an online meeting with a cup of hot coffee or tea and listen to Mr. Greenwell give an update on the school year. The link will be in an email shared with parents. You may also email email@example.com for the meeting link at least one day prior to access this online meeting.
CVESD Board of Education Meeting
The district’s Board of Education meetings are also being held online and generally occur the second Wednesday of each month. The next CVESD Board of Education meeting is Wednesday, January 20 at 6:00 pm.
To access these public meetings, please click the link here: https://www.cvesd.org/board_of_education/board_meetings
CVESD DAC/DELAC Meeting
District Advisory Council (DAC)
The DAC is composed of parent and staff representatives from each School Site Council. It meets regularly during the school year in open public forum to share information, study instructional issues, approve school planning schedules, and make recommendations to the Board of Education on specific items. District meetings take place once a month, mid-afternoon. Most meetings occur on Tuesdays from 12 – 2 pm, with a parent training beforehand. This is an elected position to serve a one-year term.
District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC)
The district will continue to conduct all meetings online until further notice, including all DAC/DELAC meetings. DAC is the District Advisory Committee. DELAC is the District English Learner Advisory Committee. Both of these groups are designed to support and inform parents in a shared communication setting with the district. Parents learn with other parents and district leadership at the DAC/DELAC meetings.
The next DAC/DELAC Meeting will be on January 12, 2021 from 12 noon to 2 pm.
Below is a schedule of all DAC/DELAC meetings for the upcoming school year. I recommend all parents download this schedule if they are interested in learning more about theses district meetings.
Be well Eagles! We love you and we miss you.