Happy Sunday Allen Eagles!
This is Mr. Greenwell with your Sunday update for today, Sunday, April 26, 2020.
First, we hope this finds you and your family well and in good health. Please follow all safety guidelines issued by state and county health officials.
Both of the above forms were updated in the evening of April 28th. Kindly view the above attached files with information on our up-coming PTC nominations and elections process. There will also be a PTC meeting which you are welcome to join on Monday, April 27 at 6:00pm. Please send a request to join the virtual meeting to: Michelle.firstname.lastname@example.org and Mrs. Reza will send you an invitation. Please send all nomination forms to: EllaBAllenPTC@gmail.com by May 1st.
Last Call for Allen Yearbooks!
All orders for 2019-2020 Yearbooks will be placed online. Due to the current health situation, the only option for distribution will be via mail. There will be an additional $5 shipping charge added to all orders that you will pay at check out. You may order a soft cover yearbook for $20 or a hard cover yearbook for $25 with the option to personalize the yearbook for an additional fee. Please submit all orders before May 1, 2020 at the website below:
Distance Learning Device Loan
As you may now know, CVESD officially has a plan to roll out the distribution of student laptops at school sites. If needed, we hope that this service can provide greater access to your child’s Distance Learning Program. Communication of this need for a device to your child’s teacher(s) is essential. Our team is carefully tracking need in order to provide this service.
A couple of important items to keep in mind:
- We ask for your consideration in requesting a device for your student; request a laptop on loan only if you really need one. Some families have noted that they have a cell phone, but it is difficult for students to access all programs and resources for distance learning on cell phones and some tablets. Therefore, we want families to have the option of borrowing a laptop or tablet. All devices are granted on a temporary basis and will need to be returned to the school in working condition. Tentatively, devices will be returned for K-5 students when school officially reopens. 6th grade students will return devices to the school on or before June 1, 2020.
- We realize that many families have more than one student. We are able to provide one device for every two students in a family in order for us to meet the needs of all families throughout the District as devices are limited.
- Our District has also prepared a safety plan that helps ensure the protection of both our staff and the students/families who will pick up the devices for their temporary use at home. Details of the Distance Learning Device Checkout will be sent directly to borrowers, along with a Release Form. The form must be signed by the student’s parent/guardian. Each borrower agrees to return the equipment in the same condition as when loaned and further agrees to reimburse the District for any loss or damage incurred while the borrower has custody. Normal wear and tear excluded.
- Each distance learning device is to be used for educational and school-related purposes only. All students are expected to use good judgment and common sense: be safe, appropriate, careful, and kind online. It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to ensure their child follows the internet acceptable use guidelines on distance learning devices at home. This device does not have Internet filtering software and parent/guardian are fully responsible for the monitoring of any online activity of their child(ren).
- More information around internet hotspots throughout the city of Chula Vista will be coming soon.
This process is being rolled out in two different phases:
Phase 1: ONLY for designated Foster and Special Education Students
- When: Friday, April 24th from 1:00 pm – 3 :00 pm
- Where: Allen Elementary Front Office
Phase 2: Remaining students that have requested device need via your child’s teacher.
- When: Begins on Friday, May 1st and continuing on Monday, May 4th and Tuesday, May 5th.
- Details and specific times coming soon! Please wait to hear from our staff before coming to the school to pick up a device.
- Where: Allen Elementary Front Office
- How: Walk up service: Please wear a mask and follow all social distancing guidelines
- What: Student will receive a student laptop, charger, and login credentials in a bag
- Why: To gain improved access to Distance Learning
Our aim is to ensure that social distancing guidelines are followed by everyone in our school community, both staff and families. Please wear a face mask and gloves, if you have them. We ask that one parent/guardian exit the vehicle to collect their child’s device bag. Our entire distribution team will be utilizing Personal Protective Equipment to prepare devices and ensure the most sanitary and safe process possible.
As there are many components to this service, please continue to stay tuned for communication from our Allen team. As Superintendent Dr. Escobedo shared, the key word during this extended school closure period is flexibility. We know students face a variety of challenges and conditions that might impact learning at home. For all the discussion about devices, we know that the social and emotional health of our families is paramount. Learning is impacted when students are suffering from housing, food or domestic insecurity. Please let your child’s teacher or myself (by emailing me at email@example.com) know how your family is doing. We are here to assist to the extent possible. We will get through this emergency situation together.
Mr. John Greenwell, M.S.Ed.
Principal of Ella B. Allen Elementary School
Allen Distance Learning Family Information Form
Wi-Fi Hotspots are coming soon!
The city of Chula Vista created a plan to purchase Wi-Fi Hotspot devices to give out to families who need internet access for their children to attend virtual classrooms. The Chula Vista City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to an agreement with T-Mobile and potentially other telecommunication providers to purchase 2,000 WiFi hotspots. Funding for the devices and service, totaling $650,000, will be paid by the Public Education Grant Fund and will not affect the city’s, nor the district’s general funds. More details on this will be provided by both the city and the district in the coming days.
Please know you are all thought of and missed. Together, we SOAR!