Hello Allen Families!
Starting this Thursday, September 8th are minimum days for parent/teacher conferences. Students will be released early. Minimum Days will run from September 8th through September 16th. If you have not done so yet, please schedule a conference with your child(ren)’s teacher.
During this conference, you will be reviewing your child’s report card and discussing progress. One really important thing to note is the Chula Vista Elementary School District report card is a standards-based report card aligned with the California Content Standards. Teachers give students Performance Levels related to how students are progressing toward the end-of-the year standard. These are the Performance Levels to look for…
- 4- Exceeds mastery of standards: This indicates that the student is consistently performing beyond the end-of-the year grade level standard and demonstrates deep understanding.
- 3- Proficient mastery of standards: This indicates that students can demonstrate understanding of the end-of-the year standard. This is what we are looking for at the end of the year.
- 2-Progressing toward mastery of standards: This indicates the student is learning the standard and is progressing toward the end-of-the year standard.
- 1-Minimal mastery of standards: This indicates that the students may have a basic understanding of end-of-the year standard and may need some additional classroom support to progress. Teachers often will work with students in a small group to make sure students are understanding the concepts needed to continue to grow.
It is important to note that these Performance Levels do not have a direct correlation to a traditional grading system of letter grades A, B, C, D, and F. This report cards focuses in on growth of students understanding and mastery of a given standard throughout the year. If you have any questions, feel free to ask your child(ren)’s teacher! Since we are talking about asking questions, here are some good ones to ask during your conference…
- What are the strengths of my child in academics? What are some challenges?
- Does my child participate in class?
- How does my child collaborate in class with other students?
- What seems to be the best way they learn?
- What can I do to help?
Well, that is it for now! Don’t forget to thank the teacher for their time and commitment. Make sure to keep in touch with the teacher all year long, because….Allen Eagles, together we are strong!!